Thursday, April 23, 2009

Crabby

I'm trying not to be so negative. Really, I'm an optimist. Or I used to be anyway. I always thought I was the kind of person who makes the best of a bad situation, tries to see the good in people, is forgiving, understanding, idealistic, etc. . . . I don't really know what happened. I've got some ideas, but I'm trying not to be so negative, so I won't get into it here.

That's why I shouldn't write any of the rest of this. But I am anyway.

It's been a while since I've given you one of these. I've been holding back, really. So many things have passed me by, so all I can offer is what currently bugs the snot out of me. So, from my only-negative-when-I'm-just-kidding-around-so-it-doesn't-really-count heart, here's what's on my mind:

I really feel like an outsider sometimes. No, it's not because I'm not as cute and trendy as you are. (And come on! Who has the energy for all that anyway?) It's because I hate (Is despise less negative? Should I say more positive?) lots of things that most people like. A few examples:

Rachal Ray - Yum-O! It's not a word. And saying "EVOO" and then taking the time to explain what that means, even though you've now been saying it on air for a million years,is not saving you any time or energy. Just my thoughts. There are more, but I'm trying not to be so negative.

Dora the Explorer - Okay, the first couple years of Dora were legit, if a tad annoying. But after a couple seasons someone decided to dumb it down some, for whatever reason. Now my daughter's beta fish could write that show. Overly formulated, annoying voices (Does the same person do all the voices on Dora, or is that just me?), too many talking animals, and an equally annoying spin-off. That's more than I can take.

"Designer" products - Okay, don't get me wrong. I love a great bag or pair of shoes like the next girl, but I cannot get on board with paying $300 for a bag that is nothing more than a carbon-based billboard. I'm sorry, but if I'm carrying your company name or logo around on my person, I think I should be getting paid, not forking over a car payment for the goods. I just don't get it.

Small Talk - This taxes me more than it should. Some days I'm ok, but other days it is literally all I can do to say, "Fine. How are you?" I just don't like to chit chat so much. I love to talk, and I get that there isn't always time for a heart to heart, but I'm just no good at small talk and feel that I should have a tattoo on my head with some sort of a disclaimer to let everyone I encounter know that I have no social skills and am exempt from speaking unless I have something to say. I mean, really, if you think about it, "How are you?" is an open-ended question, but everyone uses it as some kind of informal greeting. I just don't like it. Maybe we could just stick with "Hi" unless we really want the answer to "How are you?" Is that asking to much? Too little?

The Olive Garden - It's true. I hate the food there. Ryan and my friends from college have wasted their time telling me how snotty I am about it, but I maintain that most of the food there stinks. And, frankly, I get sick every time I decide to give it another shot. And, for the record, I am not a food snob. The 3 cases of mac and cheese in my pantry can speak to that.

Bowling - Ryan and I went bowling on our first date, so I feel like I should have some sentimental attachment to the "sport," but I really don't enjoy it. Or the atmosphere. Or losing. And, yes, I stink at bowling, but that's not the point here.

Just so I feel better about being a "hater," here are a few things I really like. A lot.

Claussen brand pickles - But don't say they're yum-o! (Or Delish! That last syllable is really not much extra work.)
new sheets
baseball - Okay, it might have something to do with its being the only sport I understand.
a long, hot bath
teaching my kids something that just blows their little minds
Zumba
a good book

Okay, so now I've been positive. But can I just tell you that I also hate it when I stay up way too late and spend half of the next day wondering why I feel so tired?

8 comments:

The Phipps said...

Hey I don't like those same things, but I do like bowling! And the evoo thing drives me crazy!

Nicole Bolinger said...

No wonder we are friends! I HATE RAchel Ray, I do love a good puirse but more for $30 than $300, I hate bowling, but will do it just for the social aspect. I must admit though I am pretty good at chit chat, but I find it annoying! ;) We need to get together for REAL!! ANd ehat about pictures?? BTW, I don't see the kid every day. Maybe once or twice a week!

Katie Rod said...

You know, I am starting to wonder why Rachel Ray is so popular if so many people can't stand her (including me and every other woman I have ever talked to). And the whole, "Hi! How are you?" phrase never really bothered me until I was out at BYU and EVERYONE said it. It drove me absolutely nuts, because people would say it when they were obviously busy and running to class.

But anyway, just know that most of those things on your list are truly annoying things. Especially the Olive Garden...ewwww.

Ashley said...

We should start the Olive garden sucks club and meet at Carraba's.

Courtney said...

That was a great post because I think a lot of people feel like you, but no one expresses it. I esp hate the "how are you" thing. I've even had people ask me that and then when I'm giving a longer explanation than "good," they walk away. Awesome!

April V said...

jess.. i think you are talking about me.. i have an expensive purse.. (okay one really expensive one and then several moderately expensive)... i can make small talk all day long (on my terms only)... olive garden is okay.. but for the record.. you kinda are a food snob.. got it from your brother.. but none the less... and let's not get you started again on proper english...
i still love you though..

April V said...

oh yeah, one more thing.. do you think rachel ray had plastic surgery b/c she looks alot different..

Jessica said...

Courtney - I recently had that kind of an experience too. I was shocked!
April - I hope you don't pay for a purse that has the company logo plastered all over it. They should pay you to carry that thing if you do. Just my thoughts, but I also don't like Gap sweatshirts that say GAP. Doesn't say anything about my tastes, just that I have a GAP sweatshirt. Yeah, okay, it's picky. Sorry. And I'll have to see about the Rachel Ray surgery idea. I haven't seen what she looks like in a while. Because I forget there is a mute button, and I hate to hear her talk.