Friday, January 8, 2010

I will remain calm.

Christmas break was over Monday, but the kids are still here. And it's Friday. This morning Kylie woke up rather talkative, but I was still in my bed. It is 1 degree outside, and I don't feel talkative. I feel shell shocked from the unexpected onslaught of an extra week of vacation. Not really vacation, though. I could count on one hand (with fingers left over) the number of times my children have left the house since Christmas. Either someone has been too sick for us to go play, or the weather has been too ridiculous to go out, or the roads have been too slick. Even church was canceled Sunday. We've baked bread and cookies and muffins. I've made soup and chili and black eyed peas. We've watched movies, played the Wii, and constructed play forts out of blankets and cardboard boxes. We've done laundry and dishes and threatened to run away. We've done arts and crafts and fought about the clean up. In short, we've laughed, we've cried, and we are ready for it to be over. Alas, Ryan has to work this weekend, and it is not going to warm up until Sunday.
Today there will be deep breathing and a run to return some Redbox movies.
It's hard to contain the excitement around here.

2 comments:

Maren said...

I think I've slipped into a numb stupor. I'm almost enjoying this extra time with them...which tells me somebody has been slipping something into my OJ. And to that person, I say 'Thank you'.

Nicole Bolinger said...

you hilaroious!!! :)