One of these days I am going to tell you all about my phone habits, but not today. For now, suffice it to say that I probably got some of them from my father. When he calls, it's for one of a few reasons: to give you crap about something you did/didn't do; to tease you about something he thinks is funny (usually at your expense); or to tell you something he thinks you need to know. In any case, he tends to his business and the call is over. He'll let you know by saying, "Okay, I'm done. Did you want to talk to your mother?" I think I'm going to help him come up with something more catchy, like "Bedwell, out!" or perhaps just disconnecting the phone from the wall. I mean, let's be super direct, you know?
Anyway, Dad called me Saturday, and he was calling to chastise me for not reporting in after we returned from our trip. I didn't realize until then that I had barely spoken to anyone all week, and now I realize that I never told you all how our trip went. So, here it is:
Wednesday we flew into a snowy Salt Lake City, got the rental car, checked into the hotel, cleaned up a little, and went to Cafe Rio for dinner. Afterward we bought a sampler from See's candy, and, though I hate to admit it, went to WalMart for essentials like caffeine and shaving implements.
Thursday we took our time getting ready for Ryan's activities downtown. His LDS nerd conference didn't convene until the afternoon, and it included a surprise visit from Elder Bednar. So, while I may or may not have been lost in downtown SLC, Ryan and the nerds were having a Q&A with an apostle. Not a bad day.
Friday Ryan's meetings were in Riverton. I dropped him off for the day and went back to the hotel to take a long shower, sleep, and waste some time. Then I made (surprise) another trip to WalMart, had lunch alone at Chipotle, did a little shopping, picked up dinner @ In and Out (Ryan's request), and picked Ryan up. We ate in the car as we headed back to downtown SLC to attend a session at the temple. We got out late, headed to the Cheesecake factory for dessert, got lost, and crashed as soon as we got back to the hotel.
Saturday we went to the 2pm General Conference session (Thanks, Blake, for the tickets!). Ryan then went to the 6pm Priesthood session while I wandered by myself downtown again. He was starved afterward, so we decided to splurge on a meal at The Roof. It was really great, and the view was incredible.
Sunday we went to the morning session of conference, and then it was off to the airport. We were home late, and straight to bed. It was a great trip, and I actually took some photos I'll try to add later.
For now, here are some observations you may or may not care about from our time in Utah:
1. I've never seen a "family planning" section in a WalMart with the degree of variety the one in South Jordan had. We were going to take a picture to show you guys, but we didn't have a camera with us, and it seemed a little weird to come back just to take a pic of the prophylactics and such.
2. I hate to admit that we were disappointed by two things while we were there. First, See's Candies were just okay; definitely not worth the nearly twenty bucks we paid for the box. Second, Lion House rolls were supposed to be the best rolls ever, and they were just okay, too. Don't worry, though, Utah, we won't hold our disappointments against you.
3. Utahans have to be the trendiest people on the planet. I'm serious. If you can think of any trendy restaurant or shop, I'll bet you can find it in either Utah or Salt Lake county. In fact, we're not sure if anyone in Utah eats at home anymore. The restaurants were packed every day and night, and the shops didn't seem to be hurting for business either.
4. Tons of people in Utah are getting their boobs done. Either that, or there are lots of plastic surgeons spending big bucks on advertising for nothing.
Okay, I'm done. Did you want to talk to my mother?
Magwell, out!
2 comments:
Glad to get an update on your trip. I've been meaning to call you and ask you details, but haven't. Dosen't it feel weird to be on vacation and still go to Walmart on a regular basis?
You are hilarious! I enjoyed your commentary. Glad you had a good trip. :)
Post a Comment