Anyway. . . yeah, so I feel proud. I check each plant several times a day. I consider what the right amount of watering is, and I try to provide it. I get a sitter when I'm out of town. I pull the occasional weed. I fret, and I fuss, and I brag, and I watch, and I wait. I'd been waiting for a while for a zucchini that Sunday afternoon, and one was finally beginning to grow. I even hand pollinated just to be sure. Now I have one glorious, mature, ready-to-eat zucchini on my kitchen counter, and I'm sad. I'm sad because she will be an only child. In fact, I'm tortured by it. It has interrupted my gardening bliss, invaded my peaceful spot with worry and grief.
Do you know why I had never seen this bug before?
Okay, this is more than one of the little devils, and I'm not sure, but these two may be behaving in an unscrupulous manner.That would be because I have never attempted to grow any member of the squash family before. These highlighter bugs are actually adult squash vine borers. They come along when your plant is young and you are naive and hopeful and unsuspecting, and they lay their stupid eggs on the leaves. And then they hatch and crawl down and bore into the vine of your lovely plants and literally suck the life out of them. By the time you figure it out, they are all fat and happy inside your poor, dying, destined-to-produce-only-one-zucchini-this-year zucchini vine. And they look like this:
I unfortunately found several of these. See that saw-dust looking stuff on top of the vine? That's vine borer crap. You'll see it on the outside of the entry hole. Gross, I know, but at least this guy is conducting him/herself in a manner more fit for public viewing.
In short, I have gone from smug to sad because these guys have destroyed my yellow squash before anything grew there, my zucchini (you already knew that), and all but one of my pumpkin plants so far. For now my cukes are safe and my watermelon vines show no signs of distress. I pulled all the affected plants from the garden; they will be cremated in protest of this despicable invasion (and in hopes that all offending squash maggots are erradicated from the premises).
So, I have one zucchini, and I want to do right by it. I'm searching for just the right way to use it. And by that I probably mean that I will let it rot on the counter while I spend a year trying to decide how to best enjoy it.
The end. The sad, sad end.
I unfortunately found several of these. See that saw-dust looking stuff on top of the vine? That's vine borer crap. You'll see it on the outside of the entry hole. Gross, I know, but at least this guy is conducting him/herself in a manner more fit for public viewing.In short, I have gone from smug to sad because these guys have destroyed my yellow squash before anything grew there, my zucchini (you already knew that), and all but one of my pumpkin plants so far. For now my cukes are safe and my watermelon vines show no signs of distress. I pulled all the affected plants from the garden; they will be cremated in protest of this despicable invasion (and in hopes that all offending squash maggots are erradicated from the premises).
So, I have one zucchini, and I want to do right by it. I'm searching for just the right way to use it. And by that I probably mean that I will let it rot on the counter while I spend a year trying to decide how to best enjoy it.
The end. The sad, sad end.
3 comments:
Blast you to h-e-double toothpicks, you vine borers! And THAT, dear Jessica, is why I have nary a squash in my garden this year. I just couldn't take the disappointment anymore. And as for you, squash borers, I spit upon your burnt little carcasses!
AH, that is the worst! Good for you for getting a garden sitter. Collin didn't seem to give my plants the VIP care that I given them while I was away. My tomato plants look like tobacco. But I am addicted.
I am so proud of you for gardening. This is not the Jessica that I knew. But I too have been bitten by the gardening bug. I have a load of manure coming to my house tomorrow so that I may prepare my beds (garden beds that is) for next year. I am asking for a compost bin/worm farm for my birthday. I blame this obsession on buying a share of a CSA and thinking that I could grow all this stuff way cheaper and get more of it. Oh and the blame may also belong a small part to playing "Farm Town."
Post a Comment