Also, I would like the record to show that the event I am now writing about happened fewer than 24 hours ago. Thank you, record.
3 years ago today I was in a lovely hospital room adoring my sweet one day old son and and wondering if I was really going to have to go through with naming him Peter.
You probably know I lost the name battle, and now I'm losing the behavior battle. Of course, it's not a reflection of my parenting; it just comes with the territory.
Just go with it, okay?
We celebrated quietly (HA!) at home with cake and presents, but not until after dinner. As you can see, Peter was focused on getting through dinner and onto weightier matters.
Dinner served and cake consumed, it was time to open gifts. And, really, why put down your fork when you're planning to get some more cake action?
More about Peter? Oh, sure. Thanks for asking.
1. Peter is obsessed with Beyblades. If your kids have not caught wind of this craze, count your blessings. It started out as fun, and now it's all consuming. Before the temperatures dropped, I had most of the neighborhood in my backyard every day after school ripping those things into our fire pit. It doesn't stop with the toys, either. There's also an obnoxious cartoon that just fuels the fire. Conveniently available from Netflix streaming, thank you very much.
2. Peter knows how to watch shows using Netflix streaming. Continuously and without assistance. One (adult) can only have cartoon theme songs stuck in her head for so long without reaching her limit. We're working on locking down those remotes.
3. Other skills include escaping from both front and back doors. We'll be investing in locks WAY up high. Because having your 2 year old escorted home by your 3 doors down, across the street, handicapped neighbor (whom you'd never even MET!) is not at all embarrassing.
4. Though I'm closer than ever to being at peace with having named my child Peter (I know it's a fine name, but I wouldn't have chosen it. Back off!), I think my luke warm feelings toward his moniker have earned this kid more nicknames than normal. I've tried everything to avoid calling him Peter! My favorites: Pnut, PLove and Special Sauce, PKnuckle (I know, punny!), and Pizza Man. Two I also enjoy but try not to use in public are PeePee and PTurd. Crude, I know, but apt in consideration of our diapering dilemma of late. Normally, I think I usually just call him P.
5. About twice a week, Peter forgets that his job is to wreck my sanity. He will bring something soft, cuddle in my lap, and say, "I need a rest." Then he'll wiggle around until he's found a sweet spot and fall asleep. It steals my heart every time. Especially when it means I also get a nap.
6. One man wrecking crew or not, I can't remember our family without the little turd.
In other news, we recently celebrated family dysfunction. Click here to take a look!
No comments:
Post a Comment