Monday, September 24, 2012

Just So You Know: a warning about tweens

Next month one member of the Magwell crew will be celebrating double digits. You may go ahead and start praying for her parents, because the attitude began a long time ago.

Having not been the mother of a 10 year old girl before, I am not sure what the expectations are. In case you are ever in my position and find yourself wondering, allow me to shed some light for you.

A nearly 10 year old girl finds it entirely acceptable to change many people's names to "Dude," especially her younger brothers and friends. Most especially when she is schooling them on recently learned 4th grade trivia or barking orders about the game she's making up as they play it.

My nearly 10 year old is ever so slightly socially awkward, but she doesn't know it. She is supremely confident at all times and is baffled when her confidence is not received positively by her peers.

An almost ten year old is accurately described as a tween. Mine is caught in between her former little girl world and what she believes is the teenage world. She has noticed that teenagers like songs about love, and her love of Taylor Swift has confirmed to her that teens have a strong preference for breakup songs. In an attempt to foray into that world, she attempts to write at least one a week. But, when she's just hanging out, she forgets that her teens lie ahead and is consumed more by her love of Littlest Pet Shop toys and cut and paste projects. Unfortunately, those interests can play themselves out while annoyingly overacted Disney tween shows stream loud and proud into my living room via Netflix.

My nearly 10 year old has been eating like a horse for at least a year. The good news is that she's learned to make her own cheese toast, ramen, baked potato, and Koolaid. Cleaning up the messes from that sort of kitchen fun is soon to come, I hope.

An almost 10 year old girl is also an almost old enough to babysit girl, and it's killing us both! She is so great w/her 3 year old brother, and she is dying to be a babysitter. Unfortunately, she's just not ready. We're both counting down the days!

This nearly 10 year old girl has her own ideas about fashion. She is equally happy in Gymboree and Justice, and she is creatively working her way through a closet full of clothes that were meant to be matched more than mixed. I'm picking my battles. Read: losing gets old!

My nearly 10 year old girl DOES require deodorant, but not a bra. She's devoted to the daily use of both items, though, so I'm calling it a win and moving on.

An almost 10 year old has an infatuation with all authority figures in life, excepting only her parents. YOU try helping her with homework. You know, I didn't learn this stuff the same way from the same teacher, and that obviously makes me an idiot. Teacher 1, Mom 0. Rinse and repeat.

This nearly 10 year old has a love/hate relationship with the rules. You MUST turn in all papers to school on time, even if you are the parent and know where the wiggle room lies. You MUST sign the homework binder in the correct spot each night, and you MUST set a timer for exactly 25 minutes of reading each evening. Studying spelling is probably only a suggestion, though. You know, like bedtime and shoe tying.

A nearly 10 year old girl's life is beginning to be pretty busy, and she's started to become more emotional than I can usually understand. I hear this gets worse before it gets better.

This in between time is frustrating and confusing. I want to wag my finger and tell her not to be friends with the bratty kids and not to BE a bratty kid. I want to pretend that I can go another year or two before having THE TALK with her without worrying that someone on the playground or bus will take care of it for me. I want to close my eyes and pretend that braces can wait and that she'll stop talking to me about getting boobs and that I'll never have to teach her to shave her legs and calm her down when she gets her period. I want to wish away middle school and tuck her away somewhere safe until she's 30.

I'm guessing I will not get what I want, but I already have so much. My beautiful, fun, creative, loving daughter has spent 10 years challenging me and forcing me to learn and grow. It's my privilege to continue to do the same for her.

But, seriously, pray!


2 comments:

Rachel said...

Wow, I can't wait! ;)

Katie Rod said...

Good luck! At least it's Taylor Swift and not Rihanna, right??