Sunday, February 22, 2009

Filling in the Blanks

It's been a busy and strange week. I haven't done everything I wanted to do, including being witty and clever via my blog. But I'll give you all a quick run down of a few things of note I haven't mentioned here that I should have, or that folks have asked me about recently.

First, a recap of our trip to Dixie:

Got in EARLY Sunday to Mom and Dad's
sleep
church
visiting
catching crawfish in the ditches near Mom and Dad's
slept in a little Monday
beach - see previous post
tiniest bit of shopping and visiting
games with Mom, Dad, Chris, & Crystal - I LOVE it when I win!
had a late morning Tuesday
field trip to university to see Uncle Chris at work - dead bugs, live snakes, big nerds
slightly more visiting
left for Ginger and Blake's
Wed & Thurs - Kids play with cousins
grocery shop, plan, and bake for Friday
mom and dad pretend not to know
Friday - cook, decorate cake, lose all track of time and HURRY!
everyone else arrives and we party and eat
Happy 60th bday to my Mom and Dad this year!
Sat am - photos at the park. All 25of us plus Ryan's mom and neice
Sat pm - Peter's blessing at Ginger's house
Sunday - travel home

More trip pics to come. We had a good time, and it was really nice to have everyone together. It doesn't happen very often, and man is it ever loud! Can't wait til June to do it all over again.

While we were gone we heard a news report about Wal-Mart laying off 700-800 people in Bentonville. That left us a little worried. Ryan checked his email, and we learned that his department had not experienced any cuts yet. They said it could be a few weeks. So, we didn't worry about it. Ryan returned to work where not much was said about it at first. Throughout the week we learned more and more of what had happened here while we were gone. Wednesday we learned that his division would be making their cuts Friday. The rest of the week was a little tense, but in the end, he still has a job, and only one person we know personally lost a job. So, if you wanted to know, that all worked out fine. For us anyway. I could do without all the drama again for a while though.

It seems like there were a couple other things I wanted to report, but that screaming baby in my room is making it hard for me to concentrate.

One funny thing happened today. Alex looked at me like he was going to say something profound. He does that from time to time. Then he said, "Mommy, when I grow up, you're going to have white hair." I must have given him a sideways look, because he smiled a reassuring smile and said, "I promise."
"Well, what if I put a color on my hair so that it can't be white?"
Looking excited, like this had never occurred to him, he said, "Oh! Yeah! What about RED!!??!"
"Okay, red's fine."
"Yeah, mom. We can do that with a paint brush!"
And with that he went back to playing with his friend Bumblebee.

That's all for now. The screaming is getting to me, and I'm afraid my bosoms are needed to pacify. I might have white hair sooner than Alex predicts.

5 comments:

April V said...

glad y'all still have a job.. makes living a little easier.. i'm not sure if i'm ready for june or not... might need to up my meds..
love you!!

amanda said...

I will buy any book you ever write, even if its about tying flies for fishing. I am glad your trip all worked out. And that your husband is still employed. Add those worries to the screaming baby who only wants you for your body, and it could make anyone crazy. I commend you for your sanity. Thanks for posting, I am sure that your traffic log betrays me.

amanda said...

Are you really using cloth diapers?

Jessica said...

Yep. But I keep a stash of disposables for Ryan or for when I'm feeling too lazy.

Jessie said...

Sounds like you had a lot of fun with your family!!
I am also glad to hear that Ryan still has his job...and that you keep a stash of cloth diapers for him. Because we all know that sometimes he needs them :0