Friday, February 6, 2009

I was wrong. You read it here first.

Just to be clear, I've already admitted to being a wretched mother over the whole not-letting-Kylie fake-sick thing. So, I don't need you to point it out for me when I tell you that the poor kid has strep throat.

Oh yeah, I'm feeling bad. Wednesday I ran into her teacher when I was picking her up from school, and we had a good laugh over the whole thing. I felt validated in my assumption that she was faking since her teacher and the school nurse also thought she was fine.

Still, there was something. The nurse said her throat was kind of red. But she seemed fine. That afternoon she was really icky. Not sicky, just icky - bad attitude, whining, not very energetic, but I still thought she was just tired and working the sick angle for effect. I called the pediatrician (love him, but more on that another time) and made a just-in-case-she-really-seems-sick-tomorrow appointment. I had to take Pete in for his well baby anyway. She woke up in hysterics in the middle of the night. You know when the last time she did that was? Oh, the last time (the only other time) she had strep. I remember thinking as I tucked her back in that I wouldn't bother taking her to school in the morning since she was obviously feeling bad. I decided to just let her sleep in, but Thursday morning she was up with the sun and really chatty. I took her to school. When I got home I was going to cancel the appointment since I was back to thinking she was A-OK, but I decided to take her in for a swab just in case. And not because I even thought she was sick. It was mostly because we're going on a trip. You know you don't want to drive 12 hours with a sick kid, and neither do I. When I picked her up early from school her teacher was looking puzzled. She told me Kylie had been fine all day and never complained about her throat. I started to feel silly, but off we went.

Sure enough, strep throat. I feel like sending my apologies to all the other parents for the exposure.

So, I wrap up this fine week with 2 sick kids needing constant attention, medication, cuddles, drinks, etc. . . .And another who is NOT OKAY WITH THAT! Sorry, Pete. Sometimes you've gotta share.

2 comments:

Scott, Melinda, and the boys said...

So, now you're bringing strept throat to the family get-together...
We'll forgive ya... can't wait to see ya!

Nicole Bolinger said...

So sorry! I hope they feel better soon! It's going around! I am going to stay away!!! ;)