So, my sister sent me an email this morning about registering here:
http://www.marrow.org/
I thought it must be spam. It wasn't.
Bone marrow donation is one of those things I always thought I would do if someone really needed me to, but I thought you had to go somewhere and let them take a blood sample to register. And it's not that I mind giving blood; it's just hard for me to go places. Not hard, exactly, it's just that I have a hard time doing stuff sometimes. Like getting anywhere on time. Or going to the post office. Ever. Sometiems even the mailbox is a challenge. And I only ever go to a doctor if I'm knocked up or think I might be dying. So, what I'm telling you is that I've never registered to be a bone marrow donor, even though it's always been one of those things I always thought I'd be willing to do. The fact (in my mind) that you have to go out of your way to even be registered and then go through a painful ordeal if you're ever needed made it seem like something only super do-gooders ever actually do, and something people like me only think they should do. You know what I mean?
Well, fast forward to today. I got this email and asked my sister if it was legit. She says yeah, she just got finished registering, and that I should check it out. I just got finished registering myself. So, if you're interested, click the link above. As is turns out, almost everything I thought about marrow donation was false. It's not painful, but it normally costs you $52 to get on the registry. The money covers tissue typing costs, but if you sign up today or tomorrow and enter this promo code ( unmsterling3 ), the fee will be waived. You won't even have to enter your credit or debit card info when prompted to.
If you're a maybe, here's a little more info that might help you make up your mind. It only takes about 10 minutes to register, and it's all online.
http://www.marrow.org/HELP/Join_the_Donor_Registry/Myths_%26_Facts_about_Marrow_Don/index.html
Hope this gives you something to think about. Have a great day!
1 comment:
Awesome! I just registered.
I'm going to copy and paste this to my blog and send out an email to let the people I know in on the info, k?
Post a Comment