Summer is here, and I am happy to report that I have not touched a bra, a brush, or shoes today. It feels good!
Really good, in fact, until I remind myself that summer is a mixed bag.
Yes, for every luxurious moment of inaction, there is an equal but opposite (and potentially horrifying) reaction.
A few examples:
Don't have to take the kids to and from school/Kids are home either bored, hot, tired, fighting, or destroying things.
I don't have to rush to get people ready, pack lunches, feed them breakfast before school/I have to beg them to change clothes and bathe a couple times a week, and they eat lunch or its equivalent all day long!
No homework/Lazy kids
But I'm really not complaining. I have decided to embrace what summer is and enjoy it.
My kids are old enough to help and really need to learn to do that consistently.
I am old enough to realize that life is a roller coaster and really need to learn to enjoy the ride a little more.
Today we're working on it. I slept in, but my kids did not. That was wonderful until my bladder and my toddler teamed up to force me from my bed. After a quick trip to the potty, I found one kid dying for a sippy cup and two others glued to PBSkids online. They know exactly where the milk, cereal, bowls, spoons, bread, toaster, butter, and fruit live, but they felt starvation was a better choice.
No biggie. A few bowls of cereal and small/medium milk spills later, and everyone had been fed.
Immediately after breakfast, the asking for popsicles commenced. Upon that refusal, the asking to play with the neighbors began. The neighbors were not home, so tree climbing in the back yard started up. That was great and lasted 30 minutes until popsicles were again requested. This time the request was granted, and the kids were back inside for awhile. Cartoons and hunger were next on the list, but wouldn't you know I hadn't even gotten the kitchen cleared of breakfast yet.
The kids fought over which shows to watch until I got the kitchen clean enough to mess it up again for lunch. Lunch served and the latest cartoon over, I called time out on all entertainment and food until some chores have been done.
My kids have become accustomed to sorting, folding, hanging, and putting away a couple loads of laundry every day, but today there is none for them to do. I took a gamble and sent them to clean their rooms.
Did you know that room cleaning induces extreme fatigue, toothaches, headaches, uncontrollable whining, bargaining, and a very quiet house?
I'm not sure that any chores will actually be done today, but I'm going to enjoy the ride. The ride may end in all their belongings being dumped in the trash (and more whining), so I'm thinking it's going to be a better Wednesday for me than for them.
How's your day going?
1 comment:
Lately I have been searching for something (anything!) to get us out of the house every day. For some reason, if we play at other places, there's no fighting and everyone has a good time. Who would have thought?? As opposed to home where everyone is always hungry, tired or fighting. And the heat doesn't help!
Post a Comment