Friday, August 1, 2008
Miracle on 14th Street
On Tuesday and Thursday mornings I go to the gym to walk with my friend Michelle. For those of you I haven't told, I signed up with about 30 other nutters here in Arkansas to do a 5k on Labor Day, and Michelle and I are walking together now to make sure we're not going to die when we do this. Well, not we, me. She really is taking pity on me and keeping me company while I walk. Lots of these ladies are running it. Some of them are doing 10k instead of 5. I'm surrounded by healthnuts out here, and I'm trying to let it rub off a little, though running a 10k may just never happen. Sorry to say. Anyway, yesterday I go to the gym to meet Michelle. I drop the kids off at the YAC, which is the place they keep your kids while you do whatever you're doing. It's divided up by ages. Alex has to stay with the younger kids, and Kylie can go with the older kids. This has caused some trouble for me because in the older kids' room they have all kinds of games, including 2 Wii consoles. One of them has Wii Fit, and if you don't know about that, it's only the coolest thing in the world. So, I dop the kids off in their respective rooms, and go walk for an hour. I come back to pick them up, and I witness what is, in my mind at least, nothing short of a proper miracle. There are about 9 children over the age of 5 quietly sitting cross-legged and as still as can be in Kylie's room. They seem to be concentrating collectively on the TV. Kylie sees me and crawls quietly to the front of the room. This draws some scowls from the other kids, and I am puzzled to say the least. She starts to whisper to me, and I notice one girl in the middle is seated on the mat that goes to the Wii Fit and has the remote in her pocket. I look at the TV, and, bless their hearts, but they are all attempting the Lotus Focus together. Basically, it's a meditation exercise, and the mat and remote register any movements, shifts, leaning, etc.... from your body. (Note: It can only register the movements of the ONE body sitting on the mat, but why point this out and spoil all the fun?) There is a flame pictured on the screen, and when it goes out, you have failed to focus properly. I have no idea how long these kids have been trying this, but when the flame flickers, they have set a new record of 27 seconds. All but one of the kids want to do it again. That poor kids says, "This is starting to get boring." I'm thinking, this is a miracle! I've never seen that many children so still and quiet. I have been trying to find that stupid game, but now I am determined! The people at Wal-mart are not too optimistic. They say to check back every week, but they are harder to find then the Loch Ness monster. So, we'll see.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Yeah, Tom and I are having the same problem with Mario Kart. We have been waiting for months to try and find it, but with no luck. Hopefully things will calm down soon.
Post a Comment