Monday, May 12, 2008

Not that I NEED a Reason....


I don't see my husband a lot lately, so when we talk, it's just the highlights . . . you know, the really good or bad or stupid or funny stuff. No time for the details.

This "concentration" of our time together leaves us both scratching our heads sometimes. I'll refer to something I forgot I didn't tell him, and he'll do the same. It's very hard to collaborate this way, but we get by. Anyway, I've been thinking about Ryan and all the things I might be missing while he's working so much.

So, here's my newest list.

Top 100 (give or take a few) Reasons I Love My Husband

On Christmas morning, Ryan taught the kids how dogs say hello, even illustrating the butt-sniffing with 2 new Webkinz pets. They still remember this of course. It was actually difficult to get them NOT to sniff butts for a few days after that.

He wears white socks with dress pants and shoes just because it irritates me. Even with a suit. Who wouldn't love that?

He thinks it's fun to stress me out. He sometimes tells me about something that "happened" just to see my stressed-out reaction, keeps me going for a few minutes, and then tells me he's just kidding. That's not as much fun as it sounds.

He is incapable of unloading the dishwasher. The man can load it all day long, as long as he is asked to do it, but don't ask him to unload. In fact, on several occasions, I've asked him to help me out by running a load of dishes. Later I notice that there are still lots of the same dishes waiting to be washed, and when I open the dishwasher it's still got the old cleaned dishes that have now been washed twice. He's just filled in the blanks where some have been taken out. And with no apologies. When I ask him about it, he says I should know he's not going to unload before loading. This sustainability thing hasn't quite penetrated his consciousness yet.

He's interested in farming. Well, loosely. He's got a dirty sock farm happening under his computer desk. I asked him when they'd start multiplying, but I have no doubt they will. Maybe they'll spontaneously deodorize too.

He's generous. Yep. When he steals my cash, he always leaves the pennies.

He likes to get the kids upset or agitated and then go to work, leaving me to clean up the mess. I've had to start threatening him. Now the rule is that if he gets one worked up he has to take that one to work with him. And if he starts in I just remind him by using his full name. ex: "Ryan Sands, you know you're not going to get much done at work with an upset kid in your face." While his mom was visiting, we were having dinner and talking about Ryan (who was at work) and Kylie said, "Ryan Sands, what are you still doing at work?!?" Seems I might be overusing that one. Grandma and Aunt Katie really enjoyed that though.

Ryan is one of those full grown men who cannot tell time. I used to joke that I had to call him to remind him it was time to come home from work or school, but now I've got a whole team working for me. Now his boss will call his desk from her home and tell him to go home. She has his teammates tell him to go home even. And when I call him, he always seems to be on his way out the door. Either he can never remember where he parks (which I don't think is the case since his is usually one of 4 cars left by the time he goes home and should be clearly visible) or he gets lost on the way home a lot. Poor Ryan. Needs a digital watch and a gps locator.

When he gets bored at work, he sends me naughty pictures from his desk using his phone.

Of course I'm kidding; he doesn't even have a camera phone, but I know he'll read this at some point, and I thought it would be fun to hear his reaction. Did I mention he likes to mess with me from time to time and doesn't think I pay back?

Well, this is my favorite. A sleep disorder would make even the biggest bear more loveable. Ryan is the only person I know (and how could this NOT make you love him?!) who can go to work until the end of the work day, then decide he's tired enough to get ready to come home, stop in the bathroom on the way out, accidentally take a 20 minute nap on the toilet (!) and then feel rejuvenated and stay several more hours. And then tell me about it. . . . I love it!

He doesn't mind being the butt of a joke from time to time. In fact, he makes sure to give all around him lots of material. I can't tell you how much the narcolepsy helps with this!

So all this is very toungue-in-cheek, though not made up. I really adore my husband, wacky behaviours and all! In all seriousness, Ryan has been excessively busy lately, and it's starting to make us both a little nuts. Still, this weekend he made sure he was home when I needed him. I was able to leave Alex home and take Kylie to see The Adventures of Madeline ballet Saturday. She really loved it, and while I was gone he made sure he had Mothers' Day covered. Sunday I got to sleep in and got some very sweet surprises from Ryan and the kids. So, I do feel a little guilty about my little list, but it's all in fun. Ryan could make his own list. He's just too busy to notice how insane I can make him, so for now all the fun is mine!

2 comments:

Katie Rod said...

we all love quirky ryan, too. At first my mom believed the naughty pictures story, but laughed hysterically when she read that it was a joke.

Jessica said...

Oddly, he didn't think it was as funny.