Tuesday, May 6, 2008

This is GOING to Happen!

I guess I've been thinking about puking a lot lately. Seems I can be nauseated all day long, but I can't puke. (Did I mention I'm pregnant? I'm assuming everyone who reads this knows that by now.) Not that I WANT to puke, mind you; it's just that occasionally you feel like if you spend all day feeling like you're gonna, then you should. Like there should be some payoff. I know that's a little (a lot?) weird, but I feel ripped off. I mean, I'm gonna get a lot fatter in a few months, so for now, why can't I lose some puking weight?
I'll move on.
I was thinking about the last time Alex was sick. We were planning a trip to Alabama, the only time we've been back since we moved here, and Alex woke up sick a day before we were to take off. He threw up that morning, but he seemed totally fine otherwise. He just woke up, moped around for a few minutes, wouldn't eat, then barfed and started playing again. Thought maybe it was some sinus drainage upsetting his stomach. I go on with my day. I've got to go get everything we need for the trip. Kylie is in school, and Alex and I make our way to Target for some stuff to pack in the car. We get there and grab some stuff and head to the middle of the store. Alex is fine. Then all of a sudden he gives me this alarmed look. I ask him if he's ok, and he tells me he has to throw up. I start wheeling the cart toward the bathroom at the front entrance. He's cupping his hands over his face and I realize there's no time for navigating, so I ditch the cart, grab Alex and my purse and start power walking to the front. He's giving all the signs, so (yes, I really did this) I put him down and had him walk and hold my hand just in case we didn't make it to the bathroom. (I didn't want him puking on me.) So, we're about 25 feet away and he says, Mommy, this is going to happen. This is GOING to HAPPEN. (He's very composed.) He uncovers his mouth, stops and lets spew right there on the floor. I just froze. Horrified. What do you do when that happens? I look around and someone (another mom I think) is there and says, "Go on, we'll get this cleaned up." I grab Alex and we go to the bathroom to get him cleaned up. He still doesn't seem sick; now the kid is just a mess. His shirt, pants, and socks are wet from throw up. (Not to get too detailed here, but he had an empty stomach, so this is not as gross as it could have been!) I get him undressed in the bathroom, and now I'm stuck. He's down to his skivvies, I've got to finish the shopping so we can make the trip tomorrow, and here I am in the bathroom. There were these 2 older women in there, and they took Alex's sizes and shoplifted an outfit for me. I dress him, finish my shopping, pay for my stuff (plus his new outfit!) and head home. He never pukes again after that, goes back to *normal* and we make our trip with no gastro-intestinal difficulties.
I still can't go to that Target without thinking, "This is GOING to HAPPEN!"

No comments: