Thursday, November 13, 2008
Anti-Social Behaviour
I admit that pregnancy has made me a bit more stand-offish, cranky, tired, and sarcastic than usual. I say a bit more because I probably am always all of those things, just to a lesser degree. Right now I'm stressing because I have about a week long back log of calls to make. Here's what happens right now when my phone rings. If I'm sitting close to the phone, I'll check the caller ID to see if I feel like there is a life-threatening situation that needs to be taken care of. If not, no answer. Sorry. So, every call goes straight to voice mail, whereupon AT&T makes a liar out of me. My voicemail will tell you that we're not available (that may or may not be a lie) and that if you leave a message we will call you back. That, my friends, is a blatant lie. Ryan, for one, can not for the life of him use the telephone. He's always been deficient in this way. His own mother doesn't even ask for him when she calls. She knows better. So, if you're calling for him, just hang up. It ain't happening. If you're calling for me, I guess I should tell you that I'll be checking that voicemail about once a week, and I probably still won't call you back. I want to change the voicemail message to say something like that, but I hate obnoxious voicemail messages, so I just leave it a nice, polite lie. Is that wrong? I have to tell you, I've really grown to hate the telephone, and I may just have the stupid thing turned off. Email is enough for me, and I have a prepaid cell phone for emergencies. This way, my neighbors can't bother me to use the phone, telemarketers can't reach me, I won't feel so bad about not answering/calling back, and Osmand Depuff's bill collectors will get the point too. (He/she apparently had this number for a while.) Does anyone else have a hate/hate relationship with your telephone? Don't even get me started on cell phones!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I never answer the phone or even my front door for that matter. Maybe that's too anti-social, but I am more sane because of it. E-mail is the best because you can get to it whenever or just pretend you never saw it. :)
We had a land line back in the day, but the only people that called us were telemarketers. It was pretty lame, so we got rid of it. We haven't looked back since!
If I have to get one more call for Samuel Ruez, I'm gonna....
That guy totally didn't pay his bills and I'm so thankful that I got to inherit his old number.
I'm a screener.
There. I said it.
If you get rid of your landline, who's phone will your neighbor and her daughter use???
As far as the anti-social thing goes... Beware the Hermit gene of the Bedwells... Your grandfather has been locked in his house watching FOX news and the Weather Channel for many years now (with the blinds closed, and door locked)... It's a battle to keep your dad from doing the same (good thing they don't have cable)...
And phone use... none of your family has the phone gene... every now and then you may get a 10 - 15 minute conversation out of Mom, a 5 - 10 minute conversation from Dad, and maybe a 2- 4 minute conversation from Chris... the rest of us (April, Ginger, you, and me... and even Melinda) have capabilities, but I would consider them kinetic capabilities.
gosh, now i am feeling paranoid about when you don't answer. Are you screening me? :P
Well....I don't think that you should feel bad. If it makes you feel any better I always screen my calls and never answer my front door either!!
We got rid of our land line a couple of weeks ago because of obnoxious telemarketers that would call us all the time....and it has been bliss ever since!!!
Post a Comment