Monday, November 24, 2008

Really?

Alright, now, I may get myself in some hot water here, so let me defend myself first by admitting that I've read all the Stephanie Meyer books, and I'm even going to see Twilight tomorrow night. So there. I don't hate teenagers or all things teenager. But I do hate things that are flying off the shelves because of raw commercailism rather than merit. Like Dora the Explorer (yes, there are some merits, but this could turn into a blog for another day), Hannah Montana, High School Musical . . . . You get the picture.
So last night I put the kids to bed and was ready for the mind-numbing effects of the boob tube (not my sports bra. it numbs other parts, thank you very much.). We don't have cable, so I am at the mercy of the air waves and the clarity of the 3 or 4 local stations we usually receive. I was stuck with Sunday night sports (no thanks) or some music awards. I have almost no interest in pop music, but somehow I got sucked in. It might have been the spasmodic, anti-melodic Beyonce and her fellow stuff shakers that got me. I couldn't help but watch it. I want to know this: who are the geniuses who figured out that if you put a moderately attractive woman in lots of hair and makeup but very little clothing (though one serious bustier, for sure! and some extra strength hooter tape, cuz the girls should have been out with all that shaking!) and have her repeat a catch phrase to "music" while kind of violently gyrating and making grimacing (oh, sorry, I think the word is "fierce" now) faces, you can take it to the bank all day long? Such a simple formula. And I can understand that. Sex sells. Talent, not always.
What I could not understand was one of the later acts (and maybe they won an award too?). This was the one that finally made me turn the tv off, but not before this conversation ensued between Ryan and me (he was busy saving Wal-Mart from destruction via laptop):

J: Ryan, are you hearing this?
R: Yep.
J: It's not good, right?
R: No, it's not good.
J: I mean, it sucks, doesn't it?
R: Yeah, it sucks.
J: I mean, I know I can be kind of a snob about this stuff, but I'm not just being a cynic here, right?
R: It's not just you. It's bad.
J: But, you know, these guys are really really popular right now. Like, really the it thing for teenage girls. Am I missing something? Cause this is offensive to me.
R: Jess, you know I enjoy some bad music, but even I have to say that this is terrible.
J: You're right about that. You do like some bad music.
R: Yeah, ok, but my point was that this is really bad.
J: Okay. I'm glad it's not just me.
R: You can turn it off, you know.
J: Oh, okay.

So, now you must be wondering, so I'll tell you it was the Jonas Brothers. Sorry, girls, but after seeing them perform (it might have been the first time I've ever heard them anywhere), I just don't get it. I guess maybe they could be kind of cute, maybe, but wow that was a sad act! They must have a really good agent. Or did these guys come up through the Disney pop star factory? I'm just not getting it.

And one other thing...how did Justin Timberlake earn his cool credentials? He was in a boy band! Come on, people! Really?

4 comments:

Kerilee Law said...

I've seen the Jonas Brothers on different Disney things Savannah was watching and I've never thought they were good musicians... or cute either.

Jessie said...

Ha ha.....okay I got sucked into watching it last night too!

I am totally with you about the Jonas Brothers....just not sure how they got so popular!! I personally don't like them either

But, I did like the NKOTB performance!!! You got the right stuff....baby!!! LOL!!!
Maybe it is because it helps me reminisce the old'n days!

Katie Rod said...

You didn't catch the 24 movie-thing instead? All those award shows (Academy, Golden Globes, Bronze Idols, etc...) drive me crazy.

Scott, Melinda, and the boys said...

It's strait up junk. Much like "American Idol"... the only good thing about A.I. is the auditions!!!! I'm almost convinced that "originality" died in the early-mid 90's. Everything since has been 98% "Just add water", 1.5% "not bad for a Chain Restaurant", and 0.5% "good ol' Mom and Pop eatin"... you know what I mean?