Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Maybe a bit Random

I'm too tired to think of a clever way to tie all my thoughts together today. Not that that usually works too well anyway. This week I promised the kids (because Alex only has 1 day of preschool and Kylie is out all week) that we'd do something fun that was their idea each day this week. Kind of a last hurrah before the baby arrives and life turns on its head. I had them each draw pictures of what they thought would be fun. I had to help after Kylie came up with a few outrageous things. Together we came up with going swimming, going to a playground, baking cookies (Alex), shopping (Kylie), and going to the library. Yesterday we did the library right before dinner. I just got finished mixing up sugar cookies with them, and it looks like tomorrow is a park day (please don't be too cold!) because the pool is closed tomorrow. So that'll have to be for Friday. (Thursday is for binge eating!) Can't wait to put on a swimsuit! Should be lovely. I also made them promise they'd help me get the house baby-ready for some part of each day. Yesterday went as well as I thought it would. I got a fair amount done, and they at least left me alone while they played in their rooms, pretending to clean. Works for me. Today I was so tired I didn't even bother. I had to run a few errands with Kylie while Alex went to preschool, and by the time I got home it was all I could do to throw some snacks at the kids and crawl back into bed while they totally vegged out. Of course, only a limited amount of time passes before the fighting commences and the asking for some real lunch begins, but it was a glorious nap while it lasted.
Later in the day I realize I've been utterly unproductive, so I decided I would run another errand. I got half way there and changed my mind. And right there was ChickFilA. Ice cream anyone? We pulled in for some drive thru cones, and there is this disturbed young woman running around the adjacent parking lot. I pause so as not to plow her over, and I realize she is chasing a cute little puppy around. And she is freaking out! I proceed slowly, all the while watching the show. The kids are totally hooked. She is crying, running, calling the dog. The dog is laughing its butt off and running figure eights around her. I'm trying not to laugh. I realize this could end badly, but something is wrong with me, and I can't help it. But I keep that to myself. It gets worse as compassionate and stupid people park their cars and begin to help her chase and yell at her little dog. I go around the restaurant, missing part of the show to place my order. 3 kids' cones, please. As I attempt to pull around to where it'll be someone's pleasure to serve me at the window, there is a car stopped in front of me. A line. No big deal. I didn't even notice there was no car in front of the car in front of me, which was not all the way to the window. Then I see the girl run up to the front passenger window of the car. The dog is in the very busy road now, but what is she doing over here? I guess that she's lost it and is now car jacking recruits to come and run after her dog with her. Because that's already working so well. I've found that dogs respond oh so well to running, screaming strangers. Good plan. I finally figure out, as she screams at the employees staring at her that her dog jumped out of her car, that this is her car. She's come to retrieve the dog's blankie in hopes that it will lure him (guessing sex here based on color of blankie) back to her. Good luck, girlie. You're dog is having the time of its well-groomed-and-accessorized life! So, I'm waved around, and the show goes on. The ChickFilA people are watching too. "Maybe she should try some nuggets," I suggest as I shrug and take my cones. A guy takes some out to her. I notice a much larger audience than was previously visible as I pull away, and then I see the young woman clutching her naughty puppy as I pass by them the last time on my way to the red light. Kylie asks me as we drive away, "Mom, why didn't you go help her?" "Uh, Kylie, my kids are in this car. I'm not leaving you guys to go chase after some stupid dog. Plus did you notice how the dog kept running away from everyone? It wouldn't have helped very much." "Yeah, the nuggets worked, though. Dogs love meat," she observes. "Yep. They do." As I write this I'm reminded of every time I tell Alex it's time to leave a playground. (And that I have to do this tomorrow!) I don't think meat would work, but maybe I could try carrying cookies around with me. 'Cause the screaming and chasing works on him about like it does a dog. Though he understands threats, so that's at least a start.
Now I can't remember what I sat down here to write. I don't think the dog story was it, but I'm tired of typing. Anyway, if anyone knows a girl who almost lost her dog at Tuscany Square today, tell her thanks for the show, but next time she should move her car. And go straight for the nuggets. That is all.

No comments: