When I woke up this morning I thought it was Wednesday. For about a minute. Then I realized it was really Tuesday. For about an hour. Then it became obvious that today would be one of those days that really isn't a Monday but feels like one anyway. In fact, I don't even remember yesterday, so I'm counting today as this week's Monday for all intents and purposes.
So, Alex is sick. Kind of. Maybe. It's hard to tell with kids, but last night was miserable. He woke up a few times and whimpered his way through what sleep he did get. I don't mind having Alex home, though. He's easy enough. He doesn't try to concoct elaborate games or art projects, and you don't have to play along when you really don't want to so that you won't hurt his feelings. Um, yeah, that's not saying that we have another child who does do that. Even though we totally do. But, today I had an agenda, and even though Alex is easy, having him home complicated my day somewhat.
I have a smallish project I am trying to complete, and it involves being on the phone and computer as well as running errands and sitting down with other adults to get some boring things done so we can get to the less boring stuff sooner than later. Ambiguous? I know; it's just that the details would bore/frustrate you. Like they do me. And dealing with the details at the same time as I'm dealing with a baby and a sick Alex is even more frustrating. I canceled my morning walk/therapy session and was about to cancel the rest of my day and hop in the shower when it just so happened that Ryan's morning didn't go as planned either. He decided he would work from home part of the morning to help me with the boys. I skipped the shower and quickly got to work, annoying everyone I have to work with, and doing simultaneously more and less than I needed to do for the project, thereby rendering myself pretty useless. The other parts of the day I spent shuttling people and things to and fro and attempting to feed people food they think is yucky. Hm. Sounds like an average day now that I put it that way.
And that thought brings me to some things I have learned about myself over the last few years (that have been packed full of so many of these average days). Shall I elaborate? I think you knew I would.
1. I have the ADD. (And I like to use the where it isn't needed.)
2. I absolutely cannot get my left brain and my right brain to work at the same time or to communicate with one another.
3. I am not a team player. I like to either do something all myself so that I don't have to try to explain the gobbledygook in my head to a rational person or hand everything off to someone else to do for me.
4. Being frustrated with myself makes me sleepy. A defense mechanism? Probably; but it doesn't matter because the baby named Peter makes sure I cannot indulge.
So, yeah. I accomplished very little, and I am frustrated. But I think Alex is feeling better, and maybe tomorrow I can hack away at a new to do list (that isn't entirely new). How was your day?
1 comment:
This is one of my favorite posts. You captured the scattered essence of my average day exactly.
My day?
Copy. Paste. There you have it.
Here's to tomorrow.
Post a Comment