Friday, October 23, 2009

5 for Friday

I almost forgot this week's Friday report. Here we go. . .

1. Wednesday afternoon I almost got the kids and me creamed when I ran a red light at a busy intersection. I was busy refereeing a fight they had gotten into over a song Alex is learning in Kindergarten. Kylie learned it differently last year, and they were having quite the row over it. This is typical of the after school hours (the fighting, not the red light running), and we finally had to have some church about it. I'm not hopeful that it sunk in. I am, however, grateful that we didn't get killed.

2. I ate lunch with the kids at school one day, and while I was there I realized that at least half of Kindergarten was absent. All sick. The next day Alex woke up with a fever. Peter now has one. Kylie stayed home today just to be cautious. Ryan was also home because he worked all night last night. Have I ever mentioned that we get along better when we all go to school and work like we're supposed to? Surely you understand the phenomenon.

3. This week brought a couple of rounds of unsettling news. To me it feels so weird to find out something that shakes you up and then go about the business of dishes and laundry and school and work. It seems like sometimes life should stand still long enough to let you catch your breath for a minute. I guess that's what yoga is for, and believe me, I am addicted. Feeling stressed? Give it a shot. You're welcomed in advance.

4. On a happier note, we had a moment of collective decisiveness in our house this week, and we started making plans for something big we hope to do in the future. I realize it may sound as if I'm being cryptic, but that's just because it's a long term thing, and I think we'll keep it under our hats until we're closer to the finish line. So, ask me in about 2 years, and I'd be happy to let you know. Right now it just feels good to have a goal and a plan. That's not really our style, so it's kind of big for us.

5. Last night I got my hands on a new treasure. It's called The Lost Symbol, and if you call my house and don't get an answer, you can assume I'm busy reading. I've been waiting patiently for this book to come out, and I am so excited!

That's kind of all I've got for this week. Lame, I know, but this is a rush job, and I'm wasting valuable time while the kids are asleep typing instead of reading.

1 comment:

Katie Rod said...

Let me know how the new read goes. I probably won't be able to get my hands on it at the library for the next 6 months or so...why do they only get one copy of popular books??

And good luck with the sick kiddos. I have also found that when we stick to our normal routines (i.e. I run the house during the day), everyone is happier. When Tom was out of work for 3 weeks, I thought I was going to go crazy...Not that I don't love him to pieces, but you know how it goes.

And yes, why can't life just pause for a moment to let things sink in and then let us fast forward through the parts I don't like? It still hasn't sunk in yet that I am having another baby and I am hoping that it does before she gets here. Good luck with everything going on!