Monday, October 12, 2009

7 already?

Yesterday Kylie turned seven. Last year I told you 6 things about her when she turned 6, but it doesn't seem that easy this year. Kylie is a child who needs to be drunk in, absorbed, appreciated; we simply don't take the time to do those things enough. In fact, as the too-busy parents of this beautiful girl, we have to remind ourselves to stop and enjoy her. What I'm saying is that, though she is easy to get along with, she isn't easy to spend time with unless you have ears to listen, not just to hear. And eyes to observe, not simply to see. Every time you turn around she has invented a new game, written a new book, created some new art form, or decided on the next fun family activity. She is very very creative, energetic, and determined. Just try getting her to take no for an answer - it's exhausting. So much so that I've decided that 7 is the appropriate age for her to start dressing herself on a regular basis. Beginning today:
This is Kylie making a backwards 7 to indicate her new age. What's missing is the bright blue shrug she wore over the shirt.

She is pretty stoked about this new responsibility. She came to me tonight to ask me how her tomorrow clothes looked together. I told her the truth (not good!), and then I told her that it was up to her. I will only veto in extreme cases. This is also an extension of my attempt to let go a little and not pass on crippling perfectionism to my children. See? Sometimes what looks like laziness is really good parenting in disguise.
Back to Kylie. . . okay, I'll give you 7 things. I really like lists, you know.

1. Kylie is a fantastic reader. Every night I read her a chapter out of a Junie B. Jones book, and I often find her reading the rest of the book after I've tucked her in. She is also reading the Book of Mormon regularly on her own. She rarely asks for help, and I think her love of reading is starting to rub off on Alex. We are very proud of her, and we hope she always loves to read.

2. Kylie is exceptionally kind and has a very tender heart. She makes friends easily and doesn't mind helping a new kid feel welcomed. I hate to see her grow up because I know that the self-conscious, insecure years are close at hand, and I dread having to guide her through times when not everyone will be as kind to her as she is to them.

3. Kylie is basically a human jungle gym. She has been taking yoga classes for over a year now, and she can do amazing things. (Which reminds me - if you are a grandparent, I have a newspaper clip of Kylie in her yoga class I need to send you. Please remind me if you don't receive it soon. It's already pretty old. . . )

4. Like most things bright and beautiful, the girl is multi-faceted. Part girly girl, she loves to dress up; but she also feels right at home in a mud puddle or playing with bugs. One of her favorite books is about black widow spiders, and she takes that book to school all the time to show other (probably less enthused by spiders) kids.

5. Kylie loves art. I joke that she leaves a paper trail everywhere she goes, but it's not that much of a stretch. Daily she creates cards, pictures, and valentines (all year long, thank you very much!) for people. I don't know if she could function in a world without crayons, markers, finger paints, scissors, stickers, and paper of all sizes, colors, and shapes.

6. Don't be fooled. As sweet as she is, she has a side only a few of us get to see. And don't be jealous either, because it's not that cute. My dad swears he saw her head rotate 360 degrees once, and I kinda believe him. And I have to tell you that most of the time, the venom is aimed at Alex. And most of the time he deserves it, too. But all in all she is a good big sister to both of her brothers. And she'll be a much better mom than I am one of these days.

7. Kylie has always been sort of skinny, and while that is just fine, she has recently come into her own at the dinner table. In the past 6 months, she has started to put away the food. And now she'll eat things she would never touch before. Her latest conquests are chili, tacos, and beans. But for the life of me I cannot get her to eat avocados. Maybe when she's 8.Goofy kids trying to throw a proper 7

Happy 7th Birthday Kylie!

No comments: