Monday, June 16, 2008

New Week's Resolutions

Yesterday was Father's Day. I got Ryan a card. I sent a card to my dad and his dad. That's pretty good for me. One year I got mad at Ryan on Father's Day (for the record, I'm fairly certain that I was right, whatever the reason....) and took the kids to a movie without him. He doesn't let me forget that. I mentioned Father's Day to him last week, and he asked me what movie I thought I'd go see without him. I think I'll save that for his birthday which is also this week and not on a Sunday. That way I can still be a bad wife without being such a bad Mormon. We got back yesterday from a trip to Nauvoo. It was fast and hectic and frenzied, but it was fun and made us want to go back and do more stuff together. We dragged ourselves, exhauted from travel, into sacrament meeting just long enough for the kids to sing with the Primary for Father's Day, and then we went home to get some rest. I filled out the card while I was on the phone and handed it to him with a nonchalant "Happy Father's Day," and I went off to start laundry and catch a nap. After I'd slept some and felt better I asked him if there was something special I could do for him. He said he didn't care, but I could make some cookies if I just wanted to do something. Okay, but we're out of butter. Sorry, but no cookies. He said that was ok and no different than any other Father's Day. Ouch! He didn't mean it as a guilt trip, but I started thinking, and the verdict is that we pretty much suck. In an effort to be low maintenance, we've become just about the least festive people on the planet. We celebrate the kids birthdays, but not our own. For Thanksgiving, we go out so we don't have to cook and clean. We dont buy each other Christmas gifts, and we don't even celebrate our anniversay. I think it started innocently enough. When we were first married we were broke and we'd always dream up big plans for holidays and then abandon them once we figured out we couldn't pay for them. Then we got so busy we'd say, "We'll celebrate this later," or "We'll do something really cool for this next year." Then we justgot comfortable being giant sticks in the mud, and here we are. So, I declare it time for a late New Year's Resolution. A New Week's Resolution you might say. I am hereby reinstating birthday/holiday/anniversary observation in the Magnusson home. So there. The only problem is that it leaves me having to figure out something for Ryan's birthday Wednesday. Any suggestions? Oh, and to be fair, I think going out for Thanksgiving dinner is perfectly ok, so I don't think I'll be giving that one up this year. (Maybe next year I'll make soemthing REALLY cool for it though!)

1 comment:

amanda said...

well happy birthday to ryan, and i ma glad to hear that we weren't the only ones who have become sticks in the mud as a consequence of thrift. i am covertly trying to make our family have more fun, and celebrate all important dates. collin probably wouldn't go for it all at once.