Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Just another Day

So today was a bit of a whirlwind. I just wish I hadn't been downwind.
This was Kylie's last day of preschool, and in true form I had not bought any teacher gifts, so I had to add that to my day today. I also had my 12 week maternity visit, which is really no biggie. Add a couple other errands, and I just had a day full of stuff to do. I decided yesterday that I needed to get out a little and I really need to get back to the gym. It seems I do well with that for a while and then get bored or busy or sick and stop going. Since I've been kind of icky for quite a while now, I was starting to feel bored and useless just sitting around at home, so I made a game plan for the day.

Drop Kylie at school and come back home.
Get Alex ready to go and pack a bag for the gym
Go to the gym, exercise, then shower and dress
Leave the gym and run a few errands around town
11:00 Dr. appointment
Lunch out with Alex
Wal-Mart for printing some pictures and picking up thank you cards for Kylie's two teachers
Stop at some place fun for gift cards for Kylie's teachers
Pick Kylie up from school early so I can take some pictures of her classmates and teachers
Come home and regroup

I do pretty well. I pick Alex up from the kids center at out gym and they told me he had started to ask for me. I thought that was odd. Normally he tries to hide when I come to get him. Whatever. We stop at a store and everything seems normal. Next we get in the car to go to the doctor's office and he starts in a panic about having to go to the bathroom. I stop at a McDonald's/gas station to use their facilities, and they are not operable because of plumbing issues. The doctor's office is only 2 exits away, so we go. I check in about 20 minutes early, and we head straight for the bathroom. I let Alex go first since it seemed to be quite urgent before. He goes and I start to get the most unpleasant olfactory sensation. Like poop. I thought we must have walked in behind someone who had just gone. Alex finishes up, and it's my turn. I wisely check the seat for Alex's leftovers and I decide I'm all clear to go. On my way down, I sort of brush past Alex and almost pass out.

Me: "Hey, Alex, when they said you wanted me at the gym, was it because you needed to go poo?"
Alex: "Yeah."
Me: "Did you pass gas and something came out?"
Alex: "Yeah. I think so."
Me: "Hey, you know you've got to tell mommy when you do something like that. I would have stopped somewhere for some fresh underwear, but now you just smell like poop."
Alex: "Yeah. I love you Mommy." **grins and gives me that 'but I didn't mean to' look**

I clean him up the best I can there, and we proceed to wait for the nurse. She comes to get me almost before I have time to sit down. Thank goodness she's not going to make me wait until my appointment time with this soiled 4 year old!
We get into a room and Alex wants to sit on my lap and wiggle and squirm, and I am thinking, "I really hope noone can smell him but me, and I hope that smell doesn't attach itself to my jeans."
The nurse leaves the room, and wouldn't you know that NOW I get to wait for my appointment time in a small room rather than a larger one that would have had more opportunity for clean air. I try my best to get him just to sit still because every time he moves, the air moves and bears testament to what he's packing in his trunk. Finally I show him a chair over by the window (the furthest spot in the room from ME at this point) from which he can see the highway and all the cars and the parking lot and the mall. He thinks that's pretty cool and hangs out over there until the doctor arrives. As soon as she starts to listen to the heartbeat he runs over, moving more air in his wake. I really hope the doctor had a cold. I hate to think she smelled him. Poor kid.
We leave and we're both starving. I decide that I have some wipes in the car, so I can just remove and discard the offending underwear, thoroughly clean him with the wipes, and we can finish our carefully scheduled day. I do this inside the car in the parking lot of the restaurant where we intend to have lunch. We go in and wash up, and I realize I am still smelling him. But I've already ordered, so we eat and go. At this point, I don't know if I'm going to have the time to finish up all my junk before I get Kylie, so I speed through everything left on my list and I have my fingers crossed that my nose is just hormonally fine-tuned and that other normal people are immuned to the lesser version of this smell. (If you asked Ryan right now he'd say my sense of smell has been the worst part of this pregnancy. I can't stand to smell anything. I can't have leftovers in the fridge because I can smell them when I open the door, no matter what they are sealed in. I can't let the kids talk to me too closely because I can't take their breath, even if I've sent them back to brush a second time. ) So, we finish with about 20 minutes to spare, and I decide to put us out of our (MY) misery. I take him straight to the bathtub and get him cleaned up. Then we get Kylie from school and all is right again.
Now I'm home "regrouping" and I can't remember what I'm supposed to do now. Or for the rest of the summer for that matter, but whatever it is, it will be done with clean butts all around!

1 comment:

Katie Rod said...

I honestly think the super-sense of smell thing is the worst. When I was going through the first few weeks of pregnancy with Caleb, I had an evening math class with a bunch of sweaty male athletes!!! I thought I was going to hurl every time I took a breath. But, I know a poopy four year old must have been quite the sensory overload...