Sunday, June 22, 2008

What do they do with the eyes, anyway?

Back in the end of October Ryan had an uncle pass away. He went to the funeral, and we had to explain to the kids what that was all about. Ever since then Alex has been quite intrigued by this whole dying idea, and any time it comes up he talks about it for days. Apparently it's been brought up lately, though I can't remember when or where or why, but he's on a death kick right now. We also had a long nutrition talk with the kids on the way home from Nauvoo (not the first time we've had this talk, but Ryan went into great detail about proteins and amino acids and hemoglobins and oxygen and stuff I never venture into), and what Alex took away from that little chat was a fascination with the idea (and this was not a new concept for him either, but ok!) that we EAT DEAD ANIMALS!!!
Yesterday Ryan had to work all day and all nigt, so I decided to give myself a break and buy lunch at McDonald's for the kids and me. Alex is usually bound by habit to a cheeseburger, french fries, and apple juice, but I guess he was feeling like an adventure,because he wanted chocolate milk and chicken nuggets. Fine. We get our food and drive for a while when Alex realizes that since he's eating chicken, it must be DEAD! So we have to talk about that a little. "Yes, it's dead, Alex. We don't eat animals that are alive. They have to be dead and then cooked." I should have added processed in the case of McDonald's because the next thing he said was, "Hmm, where's the eyes?" I didn't really have an answer and I thought he was just kidding around. He does that quite a bit. He wasn't kidding around. He asked again, "Where's the eyes?" Before I could answer he had thought some more and shouts, "Where's the eyes AND the legs!?!" Of course then I had to explain to him that they aren't just dead; they're also cut up into pieces. For some reason the chicken sandwich I was eating no longer tasted very good.

3 comments:

Jessie said...

Oh my word!!! That is sooo funny...
Did Alex eat the chicken nuggets when you said they were cut up too?

I don't look forward to these days. I think I will stick to counting and colors FOREVER!!!

Laura said...

Your kids are so funny! I love it!

Jessica said...

Jessie - of course he still ate them. He was just curious, not grossed out. I got grossed out telling him about it and couldn't eat anymore, but he had no trouble with it.