I feel like I have to qualify everything I say with something like, "I really do love my family, but...." See, this whole blog idea started out as a way to brag about the kids and post their cute little pictures so grandmas and grandpas could see and read about them periodically. The thing is, I found it more helpful to me if I could just write about whatever was irritating me or amusing me. Me, me, me. So, here I'll admit it's mostly about my neurotic thoughts and tendencies, with a little mixed in about the family, but mostly when they are what irritates or amuses me. That said, I really do love my family, but my sanity is sometimes in danger of extinction, and I believe that sarcasm and frustration directed toward the keyboard is a healthier outlet than always directing it their way. (That's not to say they don't get it in adequate doses. There's plenty to go around here, folks.)
So, here's what's bothering me today. Part of my job is to attempt to keep things clean around here. I'm not very proficient at that, but i feel like I do ok at least in keeping things sanitary, not necessarily tidy. I also get to do the laundry and the feeding and watering of the family. Several of the tasks associated with these things require my presence in the kitchen area pretty frequently. Whether it's cooking or loading the dishwasher or putting away groceries or cleaning off the counter tops or scrubbing the cooktop or pouring a bowl of cereal, I'm in there a lot. And that's fine, except that my kids are snackers. They like to have string cheese or crackers or cookies or dry cereal or granola bars or candy or fruit or whatever all throughout the day along with sometimes ridiculous amounts of juice and/or milk. Trying to get them to then eat a meal at the end of the day turns into a tortuous experience for the entire family. I find this to be more true with Kylie than with Alex. He can snack some and still eat 3 meals a day. Kylie, however, demands to be fed 3x/day, but it doesn't mean she is going to be eating those meals. She'll come to me at the end of the day when I'm making dinner and ask me what she was given for breakfast and lunch, and if we've skipped a meal, I'm going to be in trouble. I had to teach her the word "BRUNCH" just to get myself off the hook from time to time. None of this is new. I've learned some coping strategies. The problem I'm having right now is most likely because she is home during the day when we're all used to her being at preschool. And I swear this is not an exaggeration, but she follows me into the kitchen every time I go in there. And every time, she's somehow hungry or thirsty; it's like magic! I have stepped all over her while loading the dishwasher for days, and I'm finally at my wits' end. WHY can't she take her drink and SIT DOWN at the table instead of standing SIX INCHES BEHIND ME with it. Oh, it's probably because as soon as she finishes it she's going to ask me for some strawberries or string cheese. I have started to physically move her out of my way because WORDS MEAN NOTHING to her. And if she's not begging snacks off me while I'm in the middle of cooking or cleaning, she's wanting to help. And by help I don't mean actually help. I mean fart around making my job harder. I KNOW! I have to let them help or they'll be lazy kids, but come on! It really is not helpful at all. Once she starts "helping," he gets jealous and has to "help" also. And then it's just Bedlum. So now I feel like I have to dart in and out and for quick things or load the dishwasher while I've got her busy doing something in her room or taking a bath. The answer is probably to keep her busier with fun things throughout the day, but for now I just wanted to complain about it. So there.
3 comments:
Kind of sounds like a flashback to the baby days! Caleb is now getting to the point where I can't be out of his sight or else the screaming will begin. I usually have to load the dishwasher when he's asleep. I guess some things never change...
You, too? I thought I was alone. :)
I feel your pain...even though Davis is a lot younger, he is almost a 2 year old and getting anything done around the house some days just seems pointless!!
Post a Comment