Wednesday, June 18, 2008

There was a young woman who....

The kids have been a bit wound up. They get this way when we've done anything out of the ordinary. We got back from our trip late Sunday morning, and Kylie begged us to go to church for her to be able to sing with the Primary for Father's Day. So we rushed and made it in time, but the kids were singing toward the end of the meeting, so we had to sit through most of it with two cranky, tired kids (and parents). Kylie was kind of lying in my lap trying to go to sleep, but Alex was fighting it. He was really really restless, so Ryan ended up taking him out. In our ward there is quite a lot of chapel to foyer traffic, and while they were out there several other parents and children came in and out. I wasn't out there, but when Ryan brought him back in he told me this story, and it's classic Alex. A mom in the ward has 4 kids ranging in age from just a little oder than Kylie to newborn. She must have been having a hard time with them, and while Ryan and Alex were in the foyer, she marched all 4 of them out there. Alex noticed what was happening and he says to Ryan (though loud enough he could be heard by others of course), "Daddy, that lady has a lot of kids. I think she lives in a shoe!" I've never even told Alex about the old lady and the shoe, and I don't think Ryan has either. Kylie sometimes teaches him things she learned from preschool, so maybe that's where it came from, but I thought it was pretty funny he made the connection to a real lady with "lots of kids." Coincidentally, while my kids early on were pretty excited about this whole baby thing, they've both begun to express some worry over 3 kids being too many. Kylie said she likes having 4 people in our family and she doesn't want it to be 5. I'm sure she'll get over it. And I'm sure Alex will be cool as long as he gets his own corner of the shoe.

No comments: