Monday, September 22, 2008

Something to Think About Anyway

So, today Ryan resumed his bike commuting, having finally gotten a bicycle and set it up the way he wanted it. That all took a little longer than we'd hoped, but I'll just say that shopping for big ticket items is difficult when one of us wants to spend slightly less than humanly possible for said item, and the other wants to get the best thing he can reasonably afford. We shopped and shopped both ends of the spectrum until he finally bought a nice enough used bike so he could just get on the darned thing. Later he'll talk me into what he really wanted, but for now he's riding, and we're both happy enough with that.
Purely out of coincidence, we noticed somewhere along the way that today is World CarFree Day. I do realize this is a bit idealistic and will never work for everyone. I, for one, have to drag other people around with me, and I can neither walk nor ride a bike to do that safely or on time. There being no reasonable public transit system here, I need a car daily. But for those who can work it out, I say why not think about ways to leave the car parked at least once a week? It may be too late to observe the official day, but the point is to get people out of their cars in general, so here's the link if you want to check it out:
http://www.worldcarfree.net/wcfd/
Or you can roll your eyes and think I'm losing my mind. I probably am. I don't even like to carpool, so it's awfully handy for me to have a built in excuse!

3 comments:

Ginger said...

I will agree to car-free day if I can also get a housecleaning-free day. I mean, I am sure my household activities do more to harm the environment than the few miles I drive. So I say......dont clean for a day. Oh, or cook. That will conserve energy.

Jessica said...

Smarty pants

Jessie said...

I agree with the previous comment that sounds AWESOME to me!!