Friday, August 14, 2009

Oh Really?

Today I loaded the baby up, and we went to school for an hour. Since Kylie and Alex are in 1st grade and Kindergarten, they have lunch and recess at the same time. Makes it easy for Mom to visit now and again, as Kylie had been letting me know she would like to have happen since day 1 this year. Lunch was fun, and they actually talked me into hanging out for their recess. I parked in the middle of the play area with the baby and held court. All the kids are so excited when someone's Mom shows up. Add a baby, and it's complete pandemonium. I was bombarded with hugs from Kylie's classmates from last year, and then the baby circus began. Every little girl in Kindergarten and 1st grade visited to pay homage to the miracle of life. What is it with little girls and babies? I had to dunk the kid in germex when we got home, but he was a good sport and only got a little crabby toward the end.
At one point two little girls from Kindergarten came and sat down by us. One of them was an awkward but cute chubby girl with a bad haircut. She really pulled at my heartstrings because she reminded me of ME! Why must parents (Virginia, John - you can make ammends in the form of a generous cash donation. All will be forgiven.) of chubby, awkward children always treat them to a terrible haircut (ahem, or perm!) right before school starts? Come on folks, let's cut the chubbers some slack, alright? Okay, exit soapbox/traumatic childhood flashback, and back to my story. . . .
The other girl was an adorable toe-headed girl (with an adorable little strappy shirt that the baby kept pulling down, exposing her chest), and the two girls proceeded to wait their turn to hold THE BABY. One of them asked me, "What's his name?" "Peter," I told the girls as the cute little toe-head took her turn with him. Mini-me looked at me and said, "Oh, like Peter Pan." Simultaneously, Toe-head looked up and said, "It sounds like Hooters!"
So I said, "Hey, little girl, quit flashing my baby, get a real shirt, and tell your mommy she needs to have a talk with your daddy. Noone goes there just for the wings!"
Not really, I just nodded and felt a little bad because I hadn't changed Pete's diaper before we came, and I think he was starting to leak urine on other kids.
Oh well. Just another day.